Our first recipe we wanted to share, is this DELICIOUS Banana Foster French Toast using our signature Fleur De Sel Caramel Sauce! This dish is everything weekend dreams are made of!
- 1 loaf of rich bread (we used challah, but brioche would be delicious as well)
- 3 whole eggs (lg.) and 3 yolks (save the whites for Monday's healthy breakfast ;) )
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half, seeds scraped out
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 TBSP rum (the alcohol will cook off so it is kid friendly, however if you don't want to use it, just omit)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 bananas, sliced
1. Slice the bread about 1/2" thick, set aside.2. Whisk together the eggs, yolk, milk, vanilla bean, and salt.
2. Dip each slice of bread into the mixture, each slice should be soaked with the mixture.
3. Heat a medium size skillet over medium high heat, throw in a couple tablespoons of butter.
4. When warm, put bread slices onto skillet. Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, you are looking for that beautiful browning on each slice.
5. This might take you a couple rounds depending how many slices you have, to keep slices warm, put in a warm oven (200 degrees F) until you are ready to eat.
1. In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium high heat.2. Once butter is melted and slightly bubbling, whisk in brown sugar. 3. Once sugar is dissolved, toss in the rum and salt. Let mixture come back to a light boil, cooking off the alcohol.4. Turn down heat to medium, add in sliced bananas, cook until your desired texture. The longer you cook, the softer the bananas will be.5. Once done, keep on medium-low heat until ready to eat.Bruleed Bananas (optional):If you have a culinary torch, this is the perfect time to use it! For each serving, dip about 5 slices of banana in sugar on one side. Quickly torch each side that the sugar is on, until you see the sugar start to caramelize.Plating:
Voila! You are done! Enjoy!I would love to see any pictures of your creation of this tasty breakfast. Make sure to tag us, or you can use the hashtag #CraftedConfections.
- Lightly microwave your Crafted Caramel Sauce, you can make it as thin as you want, but I like ours just slightly warmed up so it holds it shape on the plate.
- If you have a kitchen squeeze bottle, that is ideal for presentation. If you don't, no worries, you can just spoon it over the plate. If using a squeeze bottle, I like to do a generous zig zag pattern on bottom of plate.
- Put one slice of bread horizontally on plate, and one laying on top vertical.
- Using a ladle, pour desired amount of sauce over french toast.
- If using bruleed bananas, lay over vertical piece of french toast.